Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Another Project Goes Live
As many of you know I manage IT projects. While I don't work in an IT department, I still have to manage many of the issues that involve technology. One of the challenges I have had with my current project is getting everybody to agree on and put status updates to the Project Issues List.
A project issues list is key tool to track issues as they arise during and after implementation. If you aren't using one you are setting yourself up to fail.
The issues list should contain:
* A description of the issue
* The person responsible for resolving the issue
* When the issue was opened
* When the issues is expected to resolved
* Notes regarding the ongoing status of the issue
Remember in project management, "what is not in writing has not been said".
Keep and issues list and update it regularly. Finally, negotiate expected resolution dates with those that are responsible for resolving the issues.