To help change the organizational culture to one that embraces and values project management, it should fund and support the development of a project office, which can help facilitate rolling out this “project management culture”.
Some first steps that should be taken:
- Clearly define the roles and responsibilities of existing project managers and project support personnel
- Develop a basic project management training plan for the entire organization to familiarize all with the project management verbiage and practices
- Identify and provide specialized advanced training for all project leaders and functional managers
- Develop a project management office (PMO) to provide enterprise coaching, and to develop and manage your organization’s project management methodology
- In addition to the methodology, the PMO should develop and maintain standard project management templates for the organization to use
- Ensure that existing projects are audited and meet your organization’s minimum project management standards
- Setup a program where your PMO provides coaching to less experienced project managers and oversight of all enterprise projects
- Ensure all projects have Lessons Learned captured
To learn more, you can review the book entitled “Advanced Project Portfolio Management and the PMO” on Amazon.com. There is a link to purchase the book on the left hand side of the blog.
Until next time…